Work With Us
MWRSCAC has a genuine role in creating meaning full career paths and employment opportunities for Anangu people living in the APY lands and strongly encourage community members to apply
The development and implementation of good business practices in an ethical, culturally appropriate, and social responsible manner has enabled MWRSCAC to adopt a strategic corporate approach to its core business to ensure the foundation for future growth is strong
Posted on: Sep 28, 2020
The Kitchen Manager will be an effective leader, and will prepare a wide range of nutritious foods. Exp in a remote indigenous community advantageous.
- Salary Sacrifice Available
- Genuine Career Progression
- Subsidised Accommodation
Yuendumu is an aboriginal community located 290km North West from Alice Springs along the Tanami Highway, which branches off the Stuart Highway 25 km North of Alice Springs. (Approximately a 3 hours drive from Alice Springs)
The community ranks as one of the larger remote communities in central Australia and is a community mostly made up of the Warlpiri and Anmatyerr Aboriginal people, with a population of approximately more than 800 people.
Job Description [Kitchen Manager]:
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in working within small to medium teams in a commercial kitchen. Having previous work experience in a remote indigenous community is not necessary (but is advantageous), however the ability to adjust and work well in a close team environment is essential. The kitchen manager will report directly to the store manager or assistant manager.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform a range of duties including: maintaining a high standard of OHS/WHS in the workplace; able to follow existing policies and procedures; catering for existing contracts and helping to fulfil new contracts; kitchen rostering; stock control and ordering etc.
The Kitchen Manager must also be an effective leader with a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
Basic skills must be able to be demonstrated i.e. Prepare and cook a wide range of wholesome, healthy and nutritious foods. These may include soups, salads, hot meals, sandwiches and desserts. All meals must meet the requirements and standards set by Mai Wiru Regional Stores Council Aboriginal Corporation.
Basic abilities continued…
- Ensure the freshness of food and ingredients.
- Manage and run the healthy school lunch program.
- Rostering of kitchen staff.
- Preparing menus and budgeting appropriately.
- Preparation & delivery of Catering orders or programs.
- Follow and enforce policies and procedures relating to the workplace.
- Stock control measures
Employment Opportunity for your Partner:
If you have a partner, there is a possibility for employment as a Store Worker. Please contact us for details about this.
Work within the guidelines of the MWRSCAC Operation Manual
Clean food preparation equipment, work areas, and counters as per the guidelines set out in the MWRSCAC Operations Manual
Ensure delivery of essential daily products as listed in the MWRSCAC Policy for Nutrition (boiled eggs, cooked chickens, Salads, sandwiches/wraps etc).
Take orders from customers and cook foods requiring short preparation times, according to customer requirements
Restock kitchen supplies (ordering), stock control, stock rotation and reduce stock write-offs. Ensure prepared food meet safety guidelines. Perform regular stocktake procedures.
Demonstrate efficient handling of stock and maintain a clean and tidy storeroom. Able to unload weekly deliveries and store stock appropriately in a safe and efficient manner. Regular OHS/WHS checks to be performed on inventory, storage and equipment and all personnel pertaining to the takeaway.
Perform food preparation tasks, such as making sandwiches, carving meats, making soups, salads, hot meals, baking breads or desserts, and brewing coffee or tea etc. (Well-rounded knowledge)
Able to exercise time management skills to plan work on orders, to ensure that items served are at required temperatures. Coordinate timing of food production activities.
Ensure Display Cabinets, Baine Marie, Hot Boxes are well stocked, quality controlled and merchandised well.
Able to train and mentor existing staff, work effectively with all levels of management and understands a consultative approach in the workplace. Must be able to follow policies and procedures and not re-invent them.
Key Performance Indicators
- Efficiency of work performed
- Quality of work outcomes
- Proven experience as Take-away/Short order Cook/Chef or similar role
- Proven kitchen manager experience
- Solid knowledge Safe Food Handling Practices
- Ability to follow set menu
- Ability to think logically and to prioritise your workload
- Strong communication skills,
- Excellent organisational and coordination abilities
- Attention to detail and recognise urgencies
- Be flexible and able to readily adapt to the needs of the business
- Staff are positive role models through their words, attitudes and behaviour
- Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully as part of a team
- Ability to assess and self-regulate one’s own responses within a professional environment
- Ability to use suitable language, appropriate for the audience, when exchanging ideas
- Ability to actively listen when others are communicating
- Ability to demonstrate approachable, open body language
- Ability to abide by the MWRSCAC “Code of Conduct” plus policies & procedures
Successful performance and meeting key targets will transition this position into the 'Health and Wellness Coordinator' for Mai Wiru. Further details provided upon interview.
Mai Wiru has a stict 'Pet and Animal' policy in place. Any candidate who owns a pet will need to include details during their application. This will be assessed according to the position and accommodation provided.
As Mai Wiru provides services to 'at risk and vulnerable people' across remote Indigenous Communities, candidates will also be required to submit a 'Criminal Background Check' with their application.