The most efficient use of the space & weight capacity available is key to the efficient operation of any transport service and hence it is any industry standard to charge for both the weight and volume of a freight consignment to allow for this.
A box of feathers and a box of bricks takes up the same space on a truck and if we only charged on weight then our costs would not be covered with the feathers box. Hence transport companies charge either dead weight or cubic weight, whichever is greater.
Dead weight = actual weight of the item in kgs.
Cubic weight = volume weight i.e. size of the freight item (for formula calculation see below)
Throughout the industry, different cubic conversions exist which normally depends on what transport mode is utilised by the customer.
Cubic Conversion Rate Options
- Standard cubic conversion is 1 cubic meter of space = 167kgs (Global airfreight)
- Standard cubic conversion is 1 cubic meter of space = 250kgs (Road Freight)
- Standard cubic conversion is 1 cubic meter of space = 333kgs (Sea Freight)
Cubic Weight Formula
Cubic weight = height in meters (H) x length in meters (L) x width in meters (W) x 250kgs (for road freight)
Cubic Weight Example
H = 135cm
L = 65cm
W = 40cm
1.35 x .65 x .40 x 250 = 87.75 kgs
You will be charged the greatest of the dead weight or cubic weight.
If the actual box weighed 100 kgs you would be charged this dead weight. But if the box was say, 23 kgs, you would be charged the cubic weight of 88 kgs
Important Notes on Measuring
- If you freight is on a pallet or any other sort of packaging you must include this in your cubic weight calculation i.e. it forms part of the freight item.
- If the item is an odd shape, the greatest points must be used. Measure an imaginary box around the item.
- Round up all kgs to the next denominator i.e. 30.3 kgs will be rounded up to 31 kgs.
Prices from/to Adelaide to all APY Communities
Pallets: $375 per pallet + GST
Cartons (basic charge): $27.25 + $0.82 per kg over 10kg + GST
Dangerous Goods surcharge: $125 per consignment
Prices for Adelaide Metro Local Collections
Pallets: from $75/pallet + GST
Cartons (basic charge): from $25/carton + GST
E.g. Five cartons Wingflied, Adelaide to Amata at 10kg each =
$27.25 + (40 x $0.82) = $60.05 + GST
Notes on Pricing
Discounted pricing can be negotiated for bulk shipments or regular weekly services.
Prices are exclusive of Fuel Levy (currently 0.0% reviewed monthly).
Cubic allowance: 1m cubed = 250kg
Dangerous Goods surcharge: $125.00 per consignment.
Transport Charges Include the Following Service Provisions:
- Receipt & checking of goods at Toll Transport Depot.
- Consignment note completion listing items and goods description.
- Manifesting of all freight onto the weekly line haul service.
- Overnight transportation from Adelaide to APY Communities (2 days to West APY).
- Cold Chain assurance via HACCP accredited carrier.
- Delivery of goods directly to the applicable Community Store.
- Unloading at the Community Store and temporary temperature controlled storage as required at the store awaiting collection by the agency customer at their convenience.